tisdag 15 april 2014

Revell Junkers Ju 88A4 - Part III

I've managed to make substantial progress on the kit over last weekend. The main assembly is now finished and the kit is primed and ready for preshading. There isn't all that much to talk about at this stage, as all sub-assemblies went together pretty much perfectly, with only minor amount of filler required for wing root areas and fuselage joints.

However, as I suspected, the lower part of the cockpit (clear part J-C100) keeps causing me problems. The fit is better than I suspected, but the joints are under constant pressure due to the fact that side panels need to be slightly squeezed into right position. Initially I tried to glue everything together with Glue 'n' Glaze from Deluxe Materials, a white glue especially for cockpits and clear parts. It seems however that it doesn't handle outward tension very well and one of side joints failed after 48 hours. In pure desperation, I hit it with cyano-acrylate with risk of crazying the visible clear areas of the component; we'll see what the end result will look like once I scrape away the masking.

It must be said that if one overlooks the problems with over-engineered cockpit and fuselage, this is really delightful kit to work with. The quality of detail continues to be unsurpassed and I am immensely impressed by the value one gets for the relatively modest price asked by Revell for this kit.





Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar